Colin Pitson is Managing Director, Veritas Alliance Pty Ltd, a consulting company that provides specialised services directed at creating excellence in leadership and management. He is an Internationally acclaimed Master Coach with more than 11,000 hours of coaching more than 1000 executives. Colin offers a unique combination of experience as a CEO and as a management consultant, together with formal qualifications in psychology, psychotherapy, management, engineering, coaching and coaching supervision. He has particular expertise in the areas of team development, conflict resolution and change management.
He has a wealth of experience in leadership and team building in federal government departments as well as in the private sector. His experience includes personal dealings with departmental secretaries and government ministers including several Prime Ministers. For six years he conducted and led major reviews of departments and government agencies and was responsible for implementation of transformative and complex changes. For eight years he was a Senior Executive Service Officer at the Branch and Division Head level and was CEO of several organisations. Also, he has trained and supervised the work of a number of coaches around Australia.
Colin’s particular niche is empowerment and productivity improvement through building emotional intelligence. “He delivers strongly without offence and creates in others the desire to continually become greater. After working with Colin people are indeed different.”
Colin has an engaging coaching style which balances challenge with support and holds participants accountable for their own learning in a compassionate and inspiring way. He strives to achieve a balance in his life that integrates health and wellbeing with high levels of business achievement, family and community commitments. For many years Colin has had a passionate interest in the issue of Human right in Tibet (he was a founding Director of the Australia Tibet Council Inc.) and was a key figure in organising the visit of the Dalai Lama to Australia in 1992.
Qualifications, Professional Associations & Coach Training
- International Coach Federation (ICF) Master Coach (MCC)
- Six years training as a Jungian Analyst with ANZSJA, CG Jung Institute. (2005-2011)
- Graduate Certificate of Professional Studies – Coaching/Counselling Supervision UC 2006
- Diploma of Adult Psychotherapy (ANZAP, 2004)
- Master of Arts (Cultural Psychology& Chaos, Complexity and Creativity) – UWS 2001
- Post Diploma of Industrial Management – Swinburne Institute of Technology (1972)
- Diploma of Electrical Engineering – Bendigo Institute of Technology (1968)
- Member, Australia & New Zealand Association of Psychotherapy (ANZAP)
- Fellow of the Australian Institute of Management
- Professional Accred.- Myers Briggs Type Indictator – Instit.Type Development (2007)
- “Tranformational Coaching” – Institute of Executive Coaching (Ivy Ning) (2005)
- “Executive Coaching Intensive for Advanced Coaches” – Sir John Whitmore (2004)
- “Evidence Based Coaching” – Uni. of Sydney, School of Psych (Tony Grant) ( 2003)
- Business Coaching in Australia – University of Technology Sydney – (2003)
- “Advanced Therapist” – series of workshops on relationships – (David Schnarch) (2003)
- “Coaching for Building Emotional Intelligence” course and accreditation in the use of the Emotional Competency multi rater Inventory ( ECI) – Hay Group, ( 2002)
- “Transformational Coaching” – 2 yr program of 200 hrs – Hermes & Assoc. (2001- 2002)
- Practitioner – Neuro Linguistic Programming – NLP (2002)
Business Background and Organisations worked for:-
- CEO (Founding Director) National Film and Sound Archive.
- CEO – (Director General a/g) Australian Archives and Assist. DG -Business Manager.
- Manager AUSSALES, Department of Administrative Services ($110m turnover p.a.).
- Head, Corporate Services, Department of Arts, Heritage and Environment.
- Senior Consultant, Public Service Board, Management Improvement Division.
- Founding Board Director of the Spirituality, Leadership and Management Network Ltd
- Successful entrepreneur in the tourist and property development sector
- Ordnance Factory Maribyrnong, Divisional Engineer.
- Telecom Australia, Industrial Engineer and Exchange Installation Engineer.
- L M Ericsson Pty Ltd Broadmeadows, Industrial Engineering and Factory Management.
- BHP Broken Hill, Electrical Engineering.
- Electrolytic Zinc Pty Ltd, Risdon, Hobart, Electrical Engineering.
Executive Coach /Team Building/ Leadership Facilitator, including:
- Attorney General’s Department (Coaching Panel Member)
- Griffith University
- Department of Immigration and Citizenship
- Public Service Commission (Coaching Panel Member)
- National Audit Office – London, United Kingdom
- Australian Taxation Office (Coaching Panel Member)
- Questacon – The National Science and Technology Centre
- Macquarie University, Graduate School of Management
- Defence Materiel Organisation
- Australian National Audit Office (Coaching Panel Member)
- Centrelink (Coaching Panel Member)
- Department of Education, Employment and Workplace Relations (Panel Member)
- Australian Institute of Management
- Department of Veterans’ Affairs
- Department of Urban Services
- The Infant’s Home, Ashfield NSW
- Villaggio, Aged Care Facility ACT
- Many large and small Private Sector companies.
Papers, Lectures and Workshops delivered, include:-
- Coach Supervision and Mentoring Clinic (Professional Development for accredited coaches – Centrelink
- Handling Difficult Conversations – Workshop series Levels 1; 2 and 3. Program run over a decade.
- Beyond Emotional Intelligence – Making the Behaviour Changes – Workshop series
- The Cost of Indirectness – Addressing the Subterranean Issues – Workshop series
- Inspirational Leadership – Series of Group Coaching Workshops
- Centrelink Managers’ Leadership Program – May 2004- Achieving Work Life Balance
- Key Note Address to the Australasian Sound Recordings Association, Conference 2004 Audio Visual Archiving – The Early Days
- Australian Institute of Management – Building Emotional Intelligence – How do you do it?
- Griffith University (Gold Coast Campus), School of Psychology: Executive Coaching-
- Building Emotional Intelligence using Chaos Theory and Self Psychology
- Key-note Address to the 10th International Congress on Archives in Bonn, Germany
- The Challenge to Archives: Growing Responsibilities and Limited Resources
- Helping Executive Directors plan and implement major cultural change, improved communication, team-building – throughout large and complex organisations – by means of group as well as individual coaching, 360 degree feedback processes and leadership workshop facilitation.
- Working with the CEO and top leadership team to meet specific work targets and levels of professional excellence and industry accreditation.
- Assisting a senior executive to learn to recognise and appreciate her considerable strengths, believe in herself, build her intuition and trust it; and to feel more secure and comfortable in the high powered environment in which she worked.
- Partnering a CEO to explore and practice new and more effective ways of dealing with difficult, complex and personally confronting workplace issues.
- Team Building of high level leadership team – improving connectedness and collegiality; and developing ability to be more comfortable, open with and trusting of one another.
- Helping senior managers to be better at acknowledging and rewarding success and productive behaviours in their organisation as a way of influencing and shaping further success.
- Practicing with executives, ways of building genuine self confidence and increasing their ability to be skilful in the moment.